Iceplosion Sorcerer BUILD for Diablo IV
Diablo IV launches on June 6th, 2023 for PC (Battle.Net), XBOX, & PlayStation with a 4 days Early Access (no wipe) for pre-orders (so kind of really launching June 2nd).
Diablo IV’s Open Beta Tests are almost here and I felt motivated to make some Pre-Launch theorycrafted semi-builds that should be good for ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters when the game launches. I also plan to evolve them into FULL builds when the game is released & keep them updated when we get rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Sorcerer Class called Iceplosion.
The Beta tests will only let us reach lvl 25 and only let us play in the first Act/Zone (Fractured Peaks) so those builds will be more useful for the actual game launch and ideally for characters around lvl 50+ or 60+. I’ve used 50+ and 60+ skill points when making the builds instead of the full 100 so that they can be used to jumpstart a player’s post-story endgame grind.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for those builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect that work well with the build so one can spend the extra skill points on the way to lvl 100 into those other skills.
This build will be updated post-launch to a new & expanded version when I have actual in-game information as reference.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken on the way to lvl 100 + alternative skill options, you can check my pre-launch builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Iceplosion) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Some of the skill icon images you see could be outdated & different from what is seen in the Full release version. I plan to replace them once the Beta ends or after the full launch.
Minor Destruction / Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0 )
- (active) Frost Bolt – Throw a bolt of frost at an enemy, dealing 39.00% (X- ?) damage and Chilling them for 13%. Damage: Cold Tags: Basic, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frost Bolt – Frost Bolt has a 10% chance to explode on Chilled targets, hitting nearby enemies. Chance increased by 100% against Frozen targets.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Glinting Frost Bolt – Frost Bolt generates 4 Mana when hitting Chilled or Frozen.
Major Destruction / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2 )
- (active) Ice Shards – Launch 5 shards that deal 25.00% (X-?) damage each. Deals 25% (Multiplicative) increased damage to Frozen enemies. Mana Cost: 30 Damage: Cold Tags: Core, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Ice Shards – Ice Shards have 15% chance to ricochet to another enemy.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Greater Ice Shards – While you have a Barrier active, Ice Shards treats enemies as if they were Frozen.
- (passive) Potent Warding – Your non-Physical Damage and Resistances are increased by 2%.
- (passive) did not pick other Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6 ) I picked two Defensive skills for this build
- (active) Frost Nova – Unleash a torrent of frost, Freezing enemies around you for 2 seconds. Cooldown: 14.7 Tags: Defensive, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frost Nova – Frost Nova’s radius is increased by 25%.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Shimmering Frost Nova – Frost Nova generates 4 Mana per enemy hit.
- (passive) did not pick any Defensive passives to save points
- (active) Teleport – Transform into lightning becoming Unstoppable and surging to the target location dealing 25.00% (X -?) damage around you upon arrival. Cooldown: 10.8 Damage: Lightning Tags: Defensive, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Teleport – After Teleporting, take 30% less damage for 5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Shimmering Teleport – Teleport’s cooldown is decreased by 0.5 seconds per enemy hit, up to 3 seconds.
- (passive) did not pick any Defensive passives to save points
Conjuration Skills (Required Points: 11 ) I DID NOT pick a Conjuration skill but you can remove 1 of the defensive skills and add Ice Blades
- (active) Ice Blades – Conjure ice blades for 6.0 seconds that rapidly slashes enemies for 30.67% (X – ?) damage and has a 20% chance to make them Vulnerable for 2 seconds. Cooldown: 11.8 Damage: Cold Tags: Conjuration, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Ice Blades – Ice Blades has a 10% increased chance to make enemies Vulnerable.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Summoned Ice Blades – Every time Ice Blades hits a Vulnerable enemy, it gains 25% Attack Speed, up to 100%.
- (passive) Align the Elements – You gain 5% Damage reduction against Elites for each second you don’t take damage from any of these sources, up to 50%.
- (1st upgrade) Mana Shield – Every time you spend 100 Mana, you gain 5% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade) Protection Using a skill with cooldown grants 10% of your maximum Life as a Barrier for 5 seconds.
- (passive) did not pick any more Conjuration passives to save points
Mastery Skills (Required Points: 16 )
- (active) Blizzard – Summon a frigid blizzard that deals 120.00% (X) damage and continually Chills enemies for 18% over 5 seconds. Mana Cost: 40 Damage: Cold Tags: Mastery, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Blizzard – Blizzard’s duration is increased by 2 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mage’s Blizzard – Every second an enemy is in Blizzard, they take 2.5% (multiplicative) increased damage from you, up to 20% (multiplicative).
- (passive I ONLY invested ONE point hereto unlock the upgrade ) Ice Veil – Your Barriers have a 5% increased duration. Barriers absorb damage from all sourced up to a specified amount.
- (upgrade 1) Hoarfrost – You deal more damage to enemies the more Chilled they are, up 6% (multiplicative) while they are Frozen.
- (upgrade 2 – did get this to save points) Cold Front – While you have a Barrier active, you apply 8% more Chill.
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23 )
- (active) Deep Freeze – Encase yourself in ice, becoming Immune for 4 seconds, continually Chilling enemies for 20%. When Deep Freeze ends, Frozen enemies shatter for 200.00% (X- ?). Casting Deep Freeze again ends the effect early. Cooldown: 58.8 Damage: Cold Tags: Ultimate, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Prime Deep Freeze – Gain 5% of your Life as a Barrier for 6 seconds for each enemy shattered by Deep Freeze.
- (2nd upgrade) Supreme Deep Freeze – When Deep Freeze ends, your active cooldowns are reduced by 50%.
- (passive) Frostbite – You deal 3% (multiplicative) more damage to Frozen or Vulnerable enemies, and 6% (multiplicative) more damage to enemies who are both Frozen and Vulnerable.
- (upgrade) Icy Touch – You deal 4% (multiplicative) increased damage to Vulnerable enemies.
- (upgrade) Permafrost – Frost Skills deal 5% (multiplicative) increased damage to Elites.
- (upgrade) Snap Freeze – Lucky Hit: Frost Skills have up to a 3% chance to instantly Freeze.
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Shatter – After Freeze expires, enemies explode for 25% of the damage you dealt to them while Frozen.
I don’t have much info regarding sacrificing skills as “Enchantments” and if it even is still a part of the game so I’ll leave this empty for now.
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my pre-launch builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Iceplosion) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Aspect of The Umbral
- Amulet: Aspect of Control
- Chest: Aspect of Might
- Pants: Snowguard’s Aspect
- Gloves: Aspect of Biting Cold
- Boots: Aspect of Shared Misery
- Ring 1: Aspect of Retribution
- Ring 2: Prodigy’s Aspect
- 1H Weapon: Aspect of Pummeling
- Off-hand: Aspect of Piercing Cold
- 2-H Weapon (if you decide to use one): Aspect of Pummeling
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the Iceplosion Sorcerer Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):