Iceplosion 2.0 Sorcerer BUILD for Diablo IV [RDY-4-Launch]
Diablo IV launches on June 6th, 2023 for PC (Battle.Net), XBOX, & PlayStation with a 4 days Early Access (no wipe) for pre-orders (so kind of really launching June 2nd).
Diablo IV‘s Launch is getting closer and it’s time to make some Ready-For-Launch full Builds/Theorycrafts that should be good for both ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters as well as late endgame. I also plan to evolve them further when the game is released & keep them updated when we get rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Sorcerer Class called Iceplosion 2.0.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for those builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect + unique item + gems & sockets + suggested stat rolls + paragon boards that work well with the build which you can use to tinker. Alternatively, I’ve added build calculator links (mostly needed for the paragons)
This build will be updated post-launch to a new & expanded version when I have more in-game information as reference.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken + alternative skill options, you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Iceplosion 2.0) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Minor Destruction / Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0 )
- (active) Frost Bolt – Throw a bolt of frost at an enemy, dealing 35.00% (X- ?) damage and Chilling them for 15%. Lucky Hit Chance: 30% Damage: Cold ; Tags: Basic, Frost Enchantment Effect Direct damage from Skills applies up to 15% Chill.
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frost Bolt – Frost Bolt has a 15% chance to explode on Chilled targets, hitting nearby enemies. Chance increased by 100% against Frozen targets.
- (2nd upgrade) Glinting Frost Bolt – Frost Bolt generates 4 Mana when hitting Chilled or Frozen.
Major Destruction / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2 ) Use Frozen Orb ONLY until you get Blizzard
- (active) Frozen Orb – Unleash an orb that Chills for 34% and expels piercing shards dealing a total of 32% (X- ?) damage. Upon expiration, Frozen Orb explodes, dealing 29% (X- ?) damage. and Chilling enemies for 9%. Lucky Hit Chance: 20% Mana Cost: 40 Damage: Cold ; Tags: Core, Frost Enchantment Effect When you cast a Non-Basic Skill, you have a 20% chance to launch a Frozen Orb at a Nearby enemy.
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frozen Orb – When cast above 50 Mana, Frozen Orb’s explosion damage is increased by 30% (multiplicative).
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Destructive Frozen Orb – Frozen Orb’s explosion restores 5 Mana when hitting a Frozen enemy.
- (passive) did not pick any Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6 )
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Teleport – Transform into lightning becoming Unstoppable and surging to the target location dealing 25% (X -?) damage around you upon arrival. Lucky Hit Chance: 40% Cooldown: 11 Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Defensive, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Teleport – Teleport’s cooldown is decreased by 0.5 seconds per enemy hit, up to 3 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Shimmering Teleport – After Teleporting, you gain 30% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds.
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Frost Nova – Unleash a torrent of frost, Freezing enemies around you for 2 seconds. Cooldown: 15 Tags: Defensive, Frost Enchantment Effect Lucky Hit: Your Conjuration Skills have a 30% chance to unleash a Frost Nova when hitting enemies.
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frost Nova – Killing enemies Frozen by Frost Nova reduces its Cooldown by 2 seconds, up to 6 seconds per cast.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mystical Frost Nova – Frost Nova makes enemies Vulnerable for 4 seconds, increased to 8 seconds against Bosses.
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Flame Shield – Engulf yourself in flames for 2 seconds, Burning nearby enemies for 23% (X) damage per second. While Flame Shield is active, you are Immune. Lucky Hit Chance: 50% Cooldown: 20 Damage: Fire ; Tags: Defensive, Pyromancy Enchantment Effect Flame Shield automatically activates when you take fatal damage. Can only happen once every 120 seconds.
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Flame Shield – Flame Shield grants 25% Movement Speed while active.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Shimmering Flame Shield – Flame Shield Heals you for 50% of your missing Life.
- (passive) Elemental Attunement – Elemental Critical Strikes have a 5%/10%/15% chance to reset the Cooldown of one of your Defensive Skills. Can only happen once every 10 seconds.
- (passive) did not pick any other Defensive passives to save points
Conjuration Skills (Required Points: 11 ) Not Taking any Active summons
- (1st upgrade)
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2)
- (passive – ONLY 2 point here) Align the Elements – You gain 5%/10%/15% Damage reduction against Elites for each second you don’t take damage from any of these sources, up to 50%.
- (1st upgrade) Mana Shield – did NOT take this one
- (2nd upgrade – TOP TIER PASSIVE & MUST HAVE) Protection – Using a cooldown grants 10%/20%/30% of your maximum Life as a Barrier for 5 seconds.
- (passive) Precision Magic – Your Lucky Hit Effect Chance is increased by up to 5%/10%/15%.
- (passive) did not pick any more Conjuration passives to save points
Mastery Skills (Required Points: 16 ) Not taking an Active Mastery skill
- (active) Blizzard – Summon a frigid blizzard that deals 120% (X) damage and continually Chills enemies for 18% over 8 seconds. Lucky Hit Chance: 35% Mana Cost: 40 Damage: Cold ; Tags: Mastery, Frost Enchantment Effect Every 15 seconds, a Blizzard forms over you and follows you for 6 seconds.
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Blizzard – Blizzard deals 25% (multiplicative) increased damage to Frozen enemies.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mage’s Blizzard – When cast above 50 Mana, Blizzard’s duration is increased by 4 seconds.
- (passive) Ice Veil – Your Barriers have a +5%/+10%/+15% increased duration. (Barriers absorb damage from all sources up to a specified amount.)
- (upgrade) Snap Freeze – Lucky Hit: Frost Skills have a 3%/6%/9% chance to instantly Freeze.
- (upgrade) Cold front – While you have a Barrier active, you apply 8%/16%/24% (multiplicative) more Chill.
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23 )
- (active) Deep Freeze – Encase yourself in ice, becoming Immune for 4 seconds, continually dealing 13% damage, and Chilling enemies for 20%. When Deep Freeze expires, it deals an additional 100% damage. Casting Deep Freeze again ends the effect early. Lucky Hit Chance: 5% Cooldown: 60 Damage: Cold ; Tags: Ultimate, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Prime Deep Freeze – When Deep Freeze ends, gain 10% of your Base Life as a Barrier for 6 seconds for each enemy you Froze while it was active.
- (2nd upgrade) Supreme Deep Freeze – When Deep Freeze ends, your Non-Ultimate Cooldowns are reduced by 50%.
- (passive) Permafrost – Frost Skills deal 5%/10%/15% (multiplicative) increased damage to Elites.
- (upgrade) Icy Touch – You deal 4%/8%/12% (multiplicative) increased damage to Vulnerable enemies.
- (upgrade) Hoarfrost – You deal 3%/6%/9% (multiplicative) increased damage to Chilled enemies, and 6%/12%/18% (multiplicative) increased damage to Frozen enemies.
- (upgrade) Frigid Breeze – Lucky Hit: Cold Damage against Vulnerable enemies has a 20%/40%/60% chance to generate 5 Mana.
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Shatter – After Freeze expires, enemies explode for 25% of the damage you dealt to them while Frozen.
Enchantment (Class Mechanic):
I’d recommend mix-and matching two of the following Enchantments (you’ll need at least 1 point invested or from gear in the skills):
- Obvious Synergies
- Blizzard – Every 15 seconds, a Blizzard forms over you and follows you for 6 seconds. (my 1st pick)
- Fireball – When you kill an enemy, they explode in a Fireball for 50% of its damage. (my ideal 2nd pick) NOTE that you’ll need to either remove a point from a passive or get +X Ranks to Fireball from an item.
- Frozen Orb – Whenever you cast a non-basic skill, you have a 20% chance to launch a Frozen Orb at a nearby enemy. (my alternative 2nd pick) NOTE that you’ll need to either remove a point from a passive or get +X Ranks to Fireball from an item.
- Ice Shards – Ice Shards automatically conjure and fly toward Frozen enemies.
- Ice Blades – For every 20 seconds in cooldowns you spend, you spawn an Ice Blades on a Random enemy.
- Frost Bolt – Direct Damage from Skills applies up to an additional 15% Chill.
- Still good to try
- Flame Shield – Flame Shield automatically activates when you take fatal damage, Can only happen once every 120 Seconds.
In Diablo IV apparently (I have multiple sources that confirmed this) we can equip more than one unique item at the same time (not so ‘unique’ if we can get decked out in full uniques I guess). It seems that the one unique per build idea that Unique inherited from the Mythical gear they supposedly replaced was scrapped even before the closed beta tests. My top pick will be the following one but check the notes under the Aspects list for some additional picks:
Iceheart Brais (Pants)
While Injured, Your Potion Also Restores [30%] Resource Enemies that die while Frozen have a [11 – 20]% chance to unleash a Frost Nova.
[28 – 42] Intelligence
+[7 – 14]% Damage to Frozen Enemies
+[21 – 35]% Damage to Injured Enemies
+[7 – 14]% Freeze Duration
The mad artisan saw his fingers turn black from frostbite as he worked the cloth, but refused to stay the needle and thread for even a moment.
Sockets & Gems
There are various possible good/viable choices for the gem slots. I’ve shortlisted what works by slot. I’d recommend picking one of those:
Weps: Diamond, Saphire, Skull, or Emerald.
Armor: Ruby, Diamond, or Skull.
Jewelry: Diamond unless you need specific resistance more than all.
XYZ Diamond (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Ultimate Skill Damage
• Armor: +N% Barrier Generation
• Jewelry: N% Resistance to All Elements
+5%/+5%/+5% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Skull (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N Life On Kill
• Armor: +N% Healing Received
• Jewelry: +N Armor
+13/+5%/+170 for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Saphire (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Crowd-Controlled Enemies
• Armor: N% Damage Reduction While Fortified
• Jewelry: N% Cold Resistance
+7.5%/5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Ruby (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Overpower Damage
• Armor: +N% Maximum Life
• Jewelry: N% Fire Resistance
+15%/+5.5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Emerald (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Vulnerable Enemies
• Armor: +N Thorns
• Jewelry: N% Poison Resistance
+7.5%/+39/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Topaz (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Basic Skill Damage
• Armor: N% Damage Reduction While Control Impaired
• Jewelry: N% Lightning Resistance
+16.7%/8.2%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Iceplosion 2.0) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Encased Aspect / Harlequin Crest (see notes below)
- Amulet: Exploiter’s Aspect
- Chest: Frostblitz Aspect
- Pants: Snowguard’s Aspect Until the Iceheart Brais Unique goes here (see notes below)
- Gloves: Aspect of Biting Cold / Frostburn (see notes below)
- Boots: Aspect of Fortune
- Ring 1: Aspect of Control
- Ring 2: Prodigy’s Aspect / Ring of Starless Skies (see notes below)
- 1H Weapon: Glacial Aspect
- Off-hand: Aspect of the Frozen Tundra
- 2-H Weapon (if you decide to use one): Glacial Aspect
NOTE 1: Snowguard's Aspect stays in the Pants slot ONLY until you get the Iceheart Brais Unique Pants. For after that see notes below: There are three other alternative picks for Uniques you could use if you get those first: Frostburn (Gloves), Harlequin Crest (Helm), & Ring of Starless Skies (Ring) See the other other notes below: NOTE 2: How to re-arrange if using any of the alternative Uniques: - For Frostburn (Gloves): Aspect of Biting Cold gets removed from the Gloves slot to make room for the Unique Gloves - For Harlequin Crest (Helm): Encased Aspect gets removed from the Helm slot to make room for the Unique Helm. - For Ring of Starless Skies (Ring): Prodigy's Aspect gets removed from the Ring 2 slot to make room for the Unique Ring. (This one's only truly going to shine if you don't use Blizzard but rather pick Frozen Orb or Ice Shards which will make a lot of other things needing reworks and might cost you a lot of coins in terms of respecs and re-rolls)
Use the links below to check the paragon boards selected and the nodes I’ve taken. One link is for what the boards will look like at lvl 84 without any paragon points from renown (so more paragon points will be obtained on the way to 100 as well as from renown). The other link will be what the boards will look like when fully maxed out on paragon points.
- LVL 84 & no Points from renown: Click THIS LINK
- MAXed out points: Click THIS LINK
Suggested Gear Rolls to look out for (NOT in order of priority):
I’ve shortlisted 42 different affixes that work well with the build of almost 300 total. I’ll highlight in Orange the ones I think should get higher priority
|Bonus to All Damage|
|Critical Strike Chance / Critical Damage Bonus|
|Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Frost/Cold Skills|
|Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Mastery/Ultimate/Basic/Defensive Skills|
|Damage with Mastery/Ultimate/Basic/Defensive Skills|
|Lucky Hit Chance|
|+ Ranks to Mastery/Ultimate/Basic/Defensive Skills|
|+ Ranks to Blizzard/Frost Nova/Frost Bolt/Flame Shield/Teleport Skills|
|Lucky Hit Chance with Frost/Cold Damage|
|Frost/Cold Damage Bonus|
|+ % Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Frost/Cold Damage|
|Resistance to All Elements|
|+ % Chill Application|
|+ % Frost/Cold Damage to Elites|
|+ % Critical Strike Chance with Frost/Cold Damage Against Elites|
|+ % Damage for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|Damage Reduction for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|Damage Reduction from Elites|
|Damage to Close Enemies|
|Critical Chance / Damage Against Close Enemies|
|Damage to Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|Critical Chance / Damage Against Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|Damage to Vulnerable Enemies|
|Critical Chance / Damage Against Vulnerable Enemies|
|Damage while Healthy|
|Chance When Struck to Gain N Life as Barrier for X Seconds|
|Lucky Hit Chance while You Have a Barrier|
|Damage Reduction while You Have a Barrier|
|Life as Barrier On Kill|
|Critical Strike Chance Against Chilled/Frozen Enemies|
|Damage to Chilled/Frozen Enemies|
|+ All Stats|
|Damage vs Injured Enemies|
|Damage vs Healthy Enemies|
|Weapon Damage (not sure if there are any bonuses to that as rolls)|
|Mana Generation / Regeneration/ On Kill|
|Resource Cost Reduction|
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV RDY-4-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the Iceplosion 2.0 Sorcerer Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):