Chaining Thunder 2.0 Sorcerer BUILD for Diablo IV [RDY-4-Launch]
Diablo IV launches on June 6th, 2023 for PC (Battle.Net), XBOX, & PlayStation with a 4 days Early Access (no wipe) for pre-orders (so kind of really launching June 2nd).
Diablo IV‘s Launch is getting closer and it’s time to make some Ready-For-Launch full Builds/Theorycrafts that should be good for both ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters as well as late endgame. I’ also plan to evolve them further when the game is released & keep them updated when we get rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Sorcerer Class called Chaining Thunder 2.0.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for those builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect + unique item + gems & sockets + suggested stat rolls + paragon boards that work well with the build which you can use to tinker. Alternatively i’ve added build calculator links (mostly needed for the paragons)
This build will be updated post-launch to a new & expanded version when I have more in-game information as reference.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken + alternative skill options, you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Chaining Thunder 2.0) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Minor Destruction / Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0 )
- (active) Arc Lash – Unleash arcing lightning that shocks enemies in front of you for 42.00% (X- ?). Every 10 times Arc Lash swipes, it Stuns all enemies hit for 2 seconds. Lucky Hit Chance: 30% Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Basic, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Arc Lash – If Arc Lash’s initial swipe Critically Strikes, it swipes and additional time.
- (2nd upgrade – no point invested here but it’s my pick of the 2) Glinting Arc Lash – Hitting a Stunned enemy with Arc Lash reduces your Cooldowns by 0.25 seconds.
Major Destruction / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2 )
- (active) Chain Lightning – Unleash lightning that deals 42% (X-?) damage and chains and chains between Nearby enemies and you up to 6 times. Lucky Hit Chance: 25% Mana Cost: 35 Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Core, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Chain Lightning – Chain Lightning gains a +3% increased Critical Strike Chance per bounce.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Greater Chain Lightning – When Chain Lightning Critically Strikes, it has a 25% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
- (passive) did not pick any Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6 )
- (active) Teleport – Transform into lightning becoming Unstoppable and surging to the target location dealing 25% (X -?) damage around you upon arrival. Lucky Hit Chance: 40% Cooldown: 11 Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Defensive, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Teleport – Teleport’s cooldown is decreased by 0.5 seconds per enemy hit, up to 3 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mystical Teleport – For 4 seconds after Teleporting, Crackling Energy deals 40% (multiplicative) more damage.
- (passive) Elemental Attunement – Elemental Critical Strikes have a 5%/10%/15% chance to reset the Cooldown of one of your Defensive Skills. Can only happen once every 10 seconds.
- (passive) did not pick any other Defensive passives to save points
Conjuration Skills (Required Points: 11 )
- (active) Lightning Spear – Conjure a crackling spear of lightning that seeks out enemies for 6 seconds, dealing 15% (X – ?) damage per hit. Lucky Hit Chance: 35% Cooldown: 20 Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Conjuration, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Lightning Spear – After Critically Striking, Lightning Spear has a 5% increased stacking Critical Strike Chance for its duration.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Invoked Lightning Spear – Lightning Spear Stuns enemies for 2 seconds when Critically Striking.
- (passive – i only put 1 point here to unlock the next passives) Align the Elements – You gain 5%/10%/15% Damage reduction against Elites for each second you don’t take damage from any of these sources, up to 50%.
- (1st upgrade – not a must have but I maxed it) Mana Shield – Every time you spend 100 Mana, you gain 5%/10%/15% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – TOP TIER PASSIVE & MUST HAVE) Protection – Using a cooldown grants 10%/20%/30% of your maximum Life as a Barrier for 5 seconds.
- (passive) Precision Magic – Your Lucky Hit Effect Chance is increased by up to 5%/10%/15%.
- (passive) did not pick any more Conjuration passives to save points
Mastery Skills (Required Points: 16 )
- (active – did not invest points into it but good to consider) Ball Lightning – Conjure a ball of lightning that slowly moves forward, continually zapping enemies for 18% (X -?) damage. Lucky Hit Chance: 20% Mana Cost: 50 Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Mastery, Shock
- (1st upgrade – no need to get upgrades if only getting it for the Enchantment) Enhanced Ball Lightning – Ball Lightning’s damage rate is increased by 200% of your Attack Speed Bonus.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Wizard’s Ball Lightning – If an enemy is hit at least 4 times by a cast of Ball Lightning, a Crackling Energy is formed. Can only happen once per cast.
- (passive) Static Discharge – Critical Strikes with Shock Skills have a 5% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
- (upgrade) Shocking Impact – Every time you Stun an enemy, you deal 15%/30%/45% Lightning Damage to them. [this is further boosted by the Unique Item]
- (upgrade) Regenerative Conduit – Crackling Energy restores 4/8/12 Mana upon pickup.
- (passive) Ice Veil – Your Barriers have a +5%/+10%/+15% increased duration. (Barriers absorb damage from all sources up to a specified amount.)
- (upgrade) Snap Freeze – did NOT take this one
- (upgrade) Cold front – did NOT take this one
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23 )
- (active) Unstable Currents – Lightning surges within you for 10 seconds. Whenever you cast a Shock Skill, a random Core, Conjuration, or Mastery Shock Skill is also cast. Cooldown: 70 Damage: Lightning ; Tags: Ultimate, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Prime Unstable Currents – Unstable Currents increases your Attack Speed by +25% while active.
- (2nd upgrade) Supreme Unstable Currents – While Unstable Currents is active, Crackling Energy continually pulses and consumes no charges.
- (passive) Coursing Currents – Hitting enemies with Shock Skills increases your Critical Strike Chance by +1%/+2%/+3%. Resets upon getting a Critical Strike.
- (upgrade- did NOT take to save points) Conduction – Critical Strikes with Shock Skills increase your Movement Speed by +3%/+6%/+9% for 3 seconds.
- (upgrade) Electrocution – Enemies deal 5%/10%/15% less damage for 5 seconds after being Critically Struck by your Shock Skills.
- (upgrade) Convulsions – Lucky Hit: Shock Skills have a 3%/6%/9% chance to Stun enemies for 3 seconds.
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Overflowing Energy – Crackling Energy hits 1 additional enemy. Each time Crackling Energy hits an enemy, your Shock Skill Cooldowns are reduced by 0.1 seconds, increased to 0.25 seconds against Elites.
Enchantment (Class Mechanic):
I’d recommend mix-and matching two of the following Enchantments (you’ll need at least 1 point invested or from gear in the skills):
- Obvious Synergies
- Chain Lightning – Chain Lightning forms automatically after spending 100 Mana. (my pick)
- Lightning Spear – Absorbing Crackling Energy has a 10% chance to conjure a Lightning Spear. (my pick)
- Arc Lash – When you use a Cooldown (skill with cooldown), enemies around you are Stunned for 0.5 seconds.
- Ball Lightning – Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes have a 25% chance to spawn a static Ball Lightning. (you’ll need to put at least 1 point into this as it’s not part of the build)
- Still good to try
- Frost Nova – Lucky Hit: Your Conjuration Skills have a 30% chance to unleash a Frost Nova when hitting enemies. (you’ll need to put at least 1 point into this as it’s not part of the build)
- Hydra – After spending 300 Mana, a 5-headed Hydra spawns for 5 seconds. (you’ll need to put at least 1 point into this as it’s not part of the build)
In Diablo IV apparently (I have multiple sources that confirmed this) we can equip more than one unique item at the same time (not so ‘unique’ if we can get decked out in full uniques I guess). It seems that the one unique per build idea that Unique inherited from the Mythical gear they supposedly replaced was scrapped even before the closed beta tests. My top pick will be the following one but check the notes under the Aspects list for some additional picks:
Esadora’s Overflowing Cameo (Amulet)
[4 – 25]% Resistance to All Elements Upon collecting Crackling Energy, there’s a 10% chance to release a lightning nova, dealing N Lightning Damage.
+[7 – 14]% Non-Physical Damage
Damage_CracklingEnergy (Struck’s note: I’m 99% sure this is +X% Damage With Crackling Energy)
+[1 – 2] Ranks of the Shocking Impact Passive
+[16.5 – 23.5]% Movement Speed
The only thing more potent than Esadora’s magic was her endless hatred of humanity. As she lay dying, the pale amulet around her neck drank in both.
Sockets & Gems
Full Diamonds is a good fit for most builds, including this one, and I’d recommend doing this. For this build some people may prefer Skulls or Saphires in the weapons or even Skull in Jewelry.
XYZ Diamond (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Ultimate Skill Damage
• Armor: +N% Barrier Generation
• Jewelry: N% Resistance to All Elements
+5%/+5%/5 for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Skull (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N Life On Kill
• Armor: +N% Healing Received • Jewelry: +N Armor
+13/+5%/+170 for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Saphire (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Crowd-Controlled Enemies
• Armor: N% Damage Reduction While Fortified
• Jewelry: N% Cold Resistance
+7.5%/5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Chaining Thunder 2.0) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Exploiter’s Aspect
- Amulet: *Aspect of Shared Misery Until The Unique goes here (see note below)
- Chest: Aspect of Fortune
- Pants: Aspect of The Unwavering
- Gloves: Aspect of the Unbroken Tether
- Boots: *Aspect of Shared Misery (see note below)
- Ring 1: Aspect of Splintering Energy
- Ring 2: Prodigy’s Aspect OR Aspect of The Umbral is a great alternative but only REALLY good with Aspect of Shared Misery in the builds
- 1H Weapon: Aspect of Overwhelming Currents
- Off-hand: Stable Aspect
- 2-H Weapon (if you decide to use one): Aspect of Overwhelming Currents
NOTE: After the unique goes on the Amulet slot, Shared Misery goes in the Boots slot. Before that use a filler in the Boots. My choice will be Charged Aspect. OR keep Shared Misery in the Boots then in the Amulet put Accelerating Aspect if you can manage the mana drain all that attack speed will cause. Alternatively, for the Amulet move the Splintering Energy there and use Aspect of The Umbral in the 1st Ring instead of it.
Use the links below to check the paragon boards selected and the nodes i’ve taken. One link is for what the boards will look like at lvl 97 without any paragon points from renown (so more paragon points will be obtained on the way to 100 as well as from renown. The other link will be what the boards will look like when fully maxed out on paragon points.
- LVL 97 & no Points from renown: Click THIS LINK
- MAXed out points: Click THIS LINK
Suggested Gear Rolls to look out for (NOT in order of priority):
I’ve shortlisted 39 different affixes that work well with the build of almost 300 total. I’ll highlight in Orange the ones I think should get higher priority
|Bonus to All Damage|
|Critical Strike Damage Bonus|
|Critical Strike Chance|
|Critical Strike Damage with Core Skills|
|Damage with Core Skills|
|Damage with Crackling Energy|
|Lightning Damage Bonus|
|Lightning Critical Strike Damage Bonus|
|Critical Strike Damage vs Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|+ % Critical Strike Chance with Lightning Damage|
|+ % Damage to Elites|
|+ % Lightning Damage to Elites|
|Damage Upon Killing an Elite|
|+ % Critical Strike Chance with Lightning Damage Against Elites|
|Damage Reduction for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|+ % Damage for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|Damage Reduction from Elites|
|Resistance to All Elements|
|+ All Stats|
|Damage while Healthy|
|Damage vs Healthy Enemies|
|Damage vs Injured Enemies|
|Damage vs Close Enemies|
|Weapon Damage (not sure if there are any bonuses to that as rolls)|
|Damage vs Stunned Enemies|
|Damage vs Slowed Enemies|
|Damage vs Immobilized Enemies|
|Mana On Kill|
|Barrier Generation Bonus|
|Damage Reduction with an Active Barrier|
|Lucky Hit Chance with an Active Barrier|
|Lucky Hit Chance|
|Resource Cost Reduction|
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV RDY-4-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the Chaining Thunder 2.0 Sorcerer Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):