BIG GRIZZ 3.0 Druid BUILD for Diablo IV [A Tier Grade]
Diablo IV launched on June 6th, 2023 for PC (Battle.Net), XBOX, & PlayStation) and I’ve had my fair share of playing and testing done. I’m now ready to start making full Builds/Theorycrafts that work for both ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters as well as late endgame. I’ll evolve & keep them updated when we get major rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Druid Class called BIG GRIZZ 3.0.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for my builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect + unique item + gems & sockets + suggested stat rolls + paragon boards that work well with the build which you can use to tinker. Alternatively, I’ve added build calculator links (mostly needed for the paragons)
This build will be updated when needed.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken + alternative skill options, you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (BIG GRIZZ 3.0) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0 )
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Storm Strike – Electricity gathers around your weapon, dealing 20% (X-?) damage to your target and chaining to up to 3 surrounding enemies, dealing 20% less damage each time it chains. You gain 25% Damage Reduction for 3 seconds after dealing damage with Storm Strike.
Lucky Hit Chance: 25% | Type: Storm Magic ; Damage: Lightning
Generates: 15 Spirit
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Storm Strike – Storm Strike has a 15% chance to Immobilize all enemies hit for 2.5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Fierce Storm Strike – Storm Strike has a 50% chance to make enemies Vulnerable for 3 seconds.
Spirit / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2 )
- (active) Pulverize – Shapeshift into a Werebear and slam the ground, dealing 50% (X-?) damage to nearby enemies.
Lucky Hit Chance: 33% | Type: Shapeshifting ; Damage: Physical
Spirit Cost: 35
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Pulverize – Your next Pulverize will Overpower every 12 seconds while you remain Healthy.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Primal Pulverize – Enemies hit with Pulverize deal 20% reduced damage for 4 seconds.
- (passive) Predatory Instinct – Critical Strike Chance against nearby enemies is increased by +3%/+6%/+9%.
- (upgrade – did NOT take to save points) Iron Fur
- (upgrade – did NOT take cuz it’s a Werewolf synergy) Digitigrate Gait
- (passive) did not pick other Spirit/Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6 ) I took both of the Defensive skills listed below
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Earthen Bulwark – Rocks surround you for 3 seconds, granting a Barrier that absorbs 45% of your Base Life in damage.
Lucky Hit Chance: 50%
Cooldown: 16 seconds | Type: Earth Magic ; Damage: Physical
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Earthen Bulwark – Earthen Bulwark makes you Unstoppable while active.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Preserving Earthen Bulwark – Casting Earthen Bulwark grants 18% Base Life as Fortify.
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Blood Howl – Shapeshift into a Werewolf and howl furiously, Healing you for 20% of your Maximum Life.
Cooldown: 15 seconds | Type: Shapeshifting
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Blood Howl – Kills reduce the Cooldown of Blood Howl by 1 second.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Innate Blood Howl – Blood Howl also generates 20 Spirit.
- (passive) Ancestral Fortitude – Increase your Non-Physical Resistances by 5%/10%/15%.
- (upgrade – ONLY put 2 points here due to not enough points left) Vigilance – You gain 5%/10%/15% Damage Reduction for 6 seconds after using a Defensive Skill.
- (passive) did not pick other Defensive passives to save points
Companion Skills (Required Points: 11 ) I did NOT take a companion
- (active) DID NOT TAKE a Companion active due to using already full skillbar
- (1st upgrade)
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2)
- (passive) did not pick any Companion passives to save points
Wrath Skills (Required Points: 16 )
- (active – ONLY put 1 point here) Hurricane – Form a hurricane around you that deals 97% (X-?) damage to surrounding enemies over 8 seconds.
Lucky Hit Chance: 33%
Cooldown: 20 seconds | Type: Storm Magic ; Damage: Physical
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Hurricane – Enemies who are damaged by Hurricane are Slowed by 25% for 2 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2)Savage Hurricane – Enemies affected by Hurricane deal 20% less damage.
- (passive) Crushing Earth – Earth Skills deal 5%/10%/15% (multiplicative) increased damage to Slowed, Stunned, Immobilized or Knocked Back enemies.
- (upgrade) Stone Guard – While Fortified for over 50% of your maximum Life, your Earth Skills deal 4%/8%/12% (multiplicative) increased damage.
- (upgrade) Safeguard – Critical Strikes with Earth Skills Fortifiy you for 2%/4%/7% Base Life.
- (passive) did not pick any other Wrath passives to save points but there are some worth considering
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23 )
- (active) Petrify – Petrify all Nearby enemies in stone, Stunning them for 3 seconds. You deal 25% (multiplicative) increased Critical Strike Damage to enemies affected by Petrify.
Type: Earth Magic ; Damage: Physical
Cooldown: 60 seconds
- (1st upgrade) Prime Petrify – Petrify’s duration is increased by 1 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade) Supreme Petrify – Killing an enemy affected by Petrify grants 25 Spirit.
- (passive) Defiance – Nature Magic skills deal 4% (multiplicative) increased damage to Elites.
- (upgrade) Natural Disaster – Your Earth Skills deal 4%/8%/12% (multiplicative) increased damage to Vulnerable enemies. Your Storm Skills deal 4%/8%/12% (multiplicative) increased damage to enemies that are Stunned, Immobilized, or Knocked Back.
- (upgrade – did NOT pick to save points) Circle of Life – Nature Magic skills that consume Spirit restore 1%/2%/3% of your maximum Life.
- (upgrade) Resonance – Nature Magic Skills deal 2%/4%/6% (multiplicative) increased damage. Triple this bonus if an Earth Skill is the next Skill cast after a Storm Skill, or a Storm Skill is the next Skill cast after an Earth Skill.
- (passive) Defensive Posture – Increases the amount of Fortify you gain from all sources by +5%/+10%/+15%.
- (upgrade – did NOT pick to save points) Thick Hide
- (upgrade) Nature’s Resolve – 5%/10%/15% chance when struck to Fortify you for 4% Base Life.
- (upgrade – did NOT pick to save points) Unrestrained
- (passive) did not pick other Ultimate passives to save points
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Earthen Might – Lucky Hit: Damaging enemies with Earth Skills has up to a 5% chance to grant Earthen Might, which does:
Restore all of your Spirit
Cause your attacks to be guaranteed Critical Strikes for 5 seconds
This chance is increased by: 10% for Critical Strikes 10% if the target is Stunned, Immobilized, or Knocked Back.
Class Mechanic (Spirit Boons):
The Spirit Boons system lets you pick 1 spirit Boon per bond out of 4 categories. Eventually you unlock the option to specialize into a certain bond which will let you get 2 Boons from that category. I advise using the following 2 + 1 +1 +1 for now.
- Eagle Category: take those two
- Scythe Talons: +5% Critical Strike Chance.
- Avian Wrath +30% Critical Strike Damage.
- Deer Category: take this one
- Wariness: Take 10% reduced damage from Elites
- Snake Category: two decent picks here so choose whichever you like based on whether you need more survivability or ultimate CDR
- option 1) Masochistic: Critical Strikes with Shapeshifting Skills heal you for 3% of your maximum Life.
- option 2) Calm Before the Storm: Lucky Hit: Nature Magic Skills (Earth & Storm) have up to a 15% chance to reduce the Cooldown of your Ultimate Skill by 2 seconds.
- Wolf Category: There are also two decent picks here. Pick based on whether you need more spirit generation or more survivability.
- option 1) Energize: Lucky Hit: Dealing damage has up to a 15% chance to restore 10 Spirit.
- option 2) Bolster: Fortify for 10% of your Maximum Life when you use a Defensive Skill
Note: Obsidian Slam on the Snake Category is also a very interesting synergy with this build worth considering for mobbing but won’t be great on Boss fights.
In Diablo IV we can equip more than one unique item at the same time (not so ‘unique’ if we can get decked out in full uniques I guess). It seems that the one unique per build idea that Uniques inherited from the Mythical gear they supposedly replaced was scrapped even before the closed beta tests. My top picks will be the following two but check the notes under the Aspects list for more picks:
Insatiable Fury (Chest Armor)
Werebear form is now your true form, and you gain +2 Ranks to all Werebear Skills.
+[0.07 – 0.14] Physical Damage
+[21 – 42]% Overpower Damage
[7 – 14]% Damage Reduction while Fortified
+[0.07 – 0.14] Armor
When the Days of Ash began, the great druid Nafain reminded his disciples that nothing, not even the loss of their humanity, was too great a sacrifice to protect Túr Dúlra from Astaroth’s flames.
Vasily’s Prayer (Helm) This one’s currently broken and the Fortify it gives does not scale with level/item power so it’s only half good/half worth it.
Your Earth Skills are now also Werebear Skills and Fortify you for N.
+[7 – 14]% Damage while Shapeshifted
[24.5 – 45.5]% Lightning Resistance
[0.12 – 0.26] Maximum Life
[12 – 20] Spirit On Kill
“Roots from the Great Oak growing at the seaward statue of Vasily will, on rare occasions, be found twisted back upon themselves, suffused with ferocious magic.” – Barrett’s Book of Implements
Harlequin Crest (Helm) Right now this seems like a very good option considering how broken Vasily’s Prayer is.
Gain [5-8%] Damage Reduction. In addition, gain +[2-4] Ranks to All Skills.
[0.245 – 0.455] Maximum Life
X% Cooldown Reduction
+[42 – 70]% Crafting Material Drop Rate
[14 – 28] All Stats
“This headdress was once worn by an assassin disguised as a court mage. Her treachery was unveiled, but not before she used its magic to curse the king’s entire lineage.” – The Fall of House Aston
Sockets & Gems
There are various possible good/viable choices for the gem slots. I’ve shortlisted what works by slot. I’d recommend picking one of those:
Weps: Ruby, Emerald, Saphire, or Skull.
Jewelry: Diamond unless you need specific resistance more than all. Alternatively, Skull.
XYZ Diamond (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Ultimate Skill Damage
• Armor: +N% Barrier Generation
• Jewelry: N% Resistance to All Elements
+5%/+5%/+5% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Skull (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N Life On Kill
• Armor: +N% Healing Received
• Jewelry: +N Armor
+13/+5%/+170 for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Saphire (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Crowd-Controlled Enemies
• Armor: N% Damage Reduction While Fortified
• Jewelry: N% Cold Resistance
+7.5%/5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Ruby (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Overpower Damage
• Armor: +N% Maximum Life
• Jewelry: N% Fire Resistance
+15%/+5.5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Emerald (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Vulnerable Enemies
• Armor: +N Thorns
• Jewelry: N% Poison Resistance
+7.5%/+39/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Topaz (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Basic Skill Damage
• Armor: N% Damage Reduction While Control Impaired
• Jewelry: N% Lightning Resistance
+16.7%/8.2%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (BIG GRIZZ 3.0) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Aspect of Mending Stone / Harlequin Crest OR Vasily’s Prayer (see notes below)
- Amulet: Ballistic Aspect
- Chest: Exploiter’s Aspect / Insatiable Fury (see notes below)
- Pants: Skinwalker’s Aspect
- Gloves: Aspect of The Ursine Horror
- Boots: Stormshifter’s Aspect
- Ring 1: Shockwave Aspect
- Ring 2: Aspect of Natural Balance
- 1H Weapon: Nighthowler’s Aspect
- Off-hand: Aspect of Retaliation
- 2-H Weapon: Nighthowler’s Aspect OR Aspect of Retaliation OR Aspect of Natural Balance BUT I do NOT recommend using a 2-hander
NOTES: How to re-arrange if using any of the Uniques: - Exploiter’s Aspect stays in the Chest slot ONLY until you get the Insatiable Fury Unique Chest Armor. For after that just discard it from the build. - For Vasily's Prayer (Helm): Aspect of Mending Stone gets removed from the Helm slot to make room for the Unique Helm. - For Harlequin Crest (Helm): Aspect of Mending Stone get removed from the Helm to make room for the Unique Helm. - For Eyes in the Dark (Pants): Aspect of Control gets removed from the Ring 1 slot to make room for the Unique Ring. ALTERNATIVE: ALTERNATIVE: If you decide to use Mother's Embrace (Ring) in the build, you will need to sacrifice one more aspect and it may be hurting the build to loose any of the remaining aspects once you have the Helmet and Chest slots filled up with Uniques. Up to you to decide which on is okay to sacrifice for that Unique ring.
Use the links below to check the paragon boards selected and the nodes I’ve taken. One link is for what the boards will look like at lvl 88 with 175 paragon points (so more paragon points will be obtained on the way to 100). The other link is what the boards will look like when fully maxed out on paragon points but i did leave the last 1 up to you to spend.
- 175/223 Paragon Pts. (~LVL 88 with renown & altar pts): Click THIS LINK
- MAX LEVEL & Paragon points spent (223/223): Click THIS LINK
Suggested Gear Rolls to look out for (NOT in order of priority):
I’ve shortlisted 45 different affixes that work well with the build of almost 300 total. I’ll highlight in Orange the ones I think should get higher priority
|Suggested Gear Rolls to look out for|
(NOT in order of priority)
|+ X% Damage|
|Critical Strike Chance/Critical Damage Bonus|
|Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Physical/Earth Skills|
|Critical Chance/Critical Damage with Core/Werebear/Shapeshifting/Nature/Storm Skills|
|Damage with Core/Werebear/Shapeshifting/Wrath/Nature Skills|
|Lucky Hit Chance|
|+ X Ranks to Core/Werebear/Shapeshifting/Wrath/Defensive/Nature/Storm Skills|
|+ X Ranks to Pulverize|
|+ Intelligence, + Dexterity, + Willpower|
|+ All Stats|
|+ Maximum Life|
|Spirit Generation / Regeneration / On Kill|
|Resource/Spirit Cost Reduction|
|Earth/Storm Skills Cooldown Reduction|
|Physical/Earth Damage Bonus|
|Lucky Hit Chance with Physical/Earth Damage|
|Resistance to All Elements|
|+ % Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Physical/Earth Damage|
|+ % Physical/Earth Damage to Elites|
|+ % Critical Strike Chance with Physical/Earth Damage Against Elites|
|+ % Damage for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|Damage Reduction for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|Damage Reduction from Elites|
|Damage / Critical Chance / Critical Damage Against Close Enemies|
|Damage / Critical Chance / Critical Damage Against Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|Damage / Critical Chance / Critical Damage Against Vulnerable Enemies|
|Damage while Shapeshifted|
|Damage while in Werebear Form|
|Damage while Healthy|
|Damage while Fortified|
|Chance When Struck to Fortify for X Life|
|Damage vs Injured Enemies|
|Lucky Hit: Up to a +X% Chance to Execute Injured Non-Elites|
|Critical Strike Chance Against Injured Enemies|
|Damage vs Healthy Enemies|
|Weapon Damage (not sure if there are any bonuses to that as rolls)|
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV RDY-4-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the BIG GRIZZ 3.0 Druid Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):