MAD DOG Druid BUILD for Diablo IV [RDY-4-Launch]
Diablo IV‘s Launch is getting closer and it’s time to make some Ready-For-Launch full Builds/Theorycrafts that should be good for both ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters as well as late endgame. I also plan to evolve them further when the game is released & keep them updated when we get rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Druid Class called MAD DOG.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for those builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect + unique item + gems & sockets + suggested stat rolls + paragon boards that work well with the build which you can use to tinker. Alternatively, I’ve added build calculator links (mostly needed for the paragons)
This build will be updated post-launch to a new & expanded version when I have more in-game information as reference.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken + alternative skill options, you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (MAD DOG) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0)
- (active) Storm Strike – Electricity gathers around your weapon, dealing 20% (X-?) damage to your target and chaining to up to 3 surrounding enemies, dealing 20% less damage each time it chains. You gain 25% Damage Reduction for 3 seconds after dealing damage with Storm Strike. Lucky Hit Chance: 25% Type: Storm Magic ; Damage: Lightning Generates: 15 Spirit
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Storm Strike – Storm Strike has a 15% chance to Immobilize all enemies hit for 2.5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Fierce Storm Strike – Storm Strike has a 50% chance to make enemies Vulnerable for 3 seconds.
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Storm Strike – Storm Strike has a 15% chance to Immobilize all enemies hit for 2.5 seconds.
Spirit / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2)
- (active) Shred – Shapeshift into a Werewolf and and perform a trio of combo attacks: 1st Attack: Deal 25% damage. 2nd Attack: Deal 35% damage. 3rd Attack: Perform a larger finishing move dealing 60% damage. Lucky Hit Chance: 20% Type: Shapeshifting ; Damage: Physical Spirit Cost: 34
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Shred – Shred gains +30% Attack Speed and Heals for 2% of your Maximum Life if an enemy is struck.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Raging Shred – Shred’s third combo attack is larger and applies an additional 51% Poisoning Damage over 5 seconds.
- (passive) Predatory Instinct – Critical Strike Chance against nearby enemies is increased by +3%/+6%/+9%.
- (upgrade – did NOT take as its’ Werebear synergy) Iron Fur
- (upgrade – did NOT take cuz no points) Digitigrate Gait / Lycanthropic Speed
- (passive) did not pick other Spirit/Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6)
- (active) Blood Howl – Shapeshift into a Werewolf and howl furiously, Healing you for 20% of your Maximum Life. Cooldown: 15 seconds Type: Shapeshifting
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Blood Howl – Kills reduce the Cooldown of Blood Howl by 1 second.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Innate Blood Howl – Blood Howl also generates 20 Spirit.
- (passive) did not pick any Defensive passives to save points
Companion Skills (Required Points: 11)
- (active) Wolves –
Passive: Summon 2 wolf companions that bite enemies for 8% (X-?) damage.
Active: Direct the wolves to focus an enemy, leaping to them and striking for 35% (X-?) damage. Lucky Hit Chance: 50% Cooldown: 14.0 seconds Type: Companion ; Damage: Physical
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Wolves – Wolves deal 20% (multiplicative) increased damage to Immobilized, Stunned, Slowed, or poisoned enemies.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Brutal Wolves – When you Critically Strike, your Wolves gain +20% Attack Speed for 3 seconds.
- (passive) Call of the Wild – Your Companions deal 10%/20%/30% (multiplicative) bonus damage.
- (passive) did not pick any other Companion passives to save points
Wrath Skills (Required Points: 16)
- (active) Hurricane – Form a hurricane around you that deals 97% (X-?) damage to surrounding enemies over 8 seconds. Lucky Hit Chance: 33% Cooldown: 20 seconds Type: Storm Magic ; Damage: Physical
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Hurricane – Enemies who are damaged by Hurricane are Slowed by 25% for 2 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Natural Hurricane – Hurricane has a 15% chance to make enemies Vulnerable for 3 seconds.
- (active) Rabies – Shapeshift into a Werewolf and perform an infectious bite on the target dealing 28% (X-?) damage, and an additional 53% (X) Poisoning damage over 6 seconds. Infected enemies spread Rabies to other nearby targets. Lucky Hit Chance: 50% Cooldown: 12 seconds Type: Shapeshifting ; Damage: Poison
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Rabies – Rabies’ Poisoning Damage also increases over the lifetime of the disease, dealing 30% (multiplicative) bonus damage at maximum duration.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Savage Rabies – Rabies deals its total Poisoning Damage in 4 seconds instead of 6.
- (passive – ONLY put 2 points here) Elemental Exposure – Lucky Hit: Your Storm Skills have up to 20% chance to make enemies Vulnerable for 1/2/3 second(s).
- (upgrade – did NOT pick to save points) Endless Tempest – Increase the duration of Hurricane and Cataclysm by 5%/10%/15% (multiplicative). This node is ONLY required to unlock Bad Omen BUT you’ll also need a point in Atmosphere for Bad Omen
- (upgrade – ONLY put 1 point here) Charged Atmosphere – Every 18/15/12 seconds, a Lightning Strike hits a nearby enemy dealing 45% (X-?) damage. This node is required to unlock BOTH Bad Omen & Electric Shock
- (upgrade) Bad Omen – Lucky Hit: Up to a 10%/20%/30% chance when dealing damage to a Vulnerable, Immobilized or Stunned enemy that a Lightning Strike also hits dealing 55% (X-?) damage.
- (upgrade – ONLY put 2 points here) Electric Shock – Lucky Hit: Dealing Lightning damage to enemies has a 5%/10%/15% chance to Immobilize them for 3 seconds. If the target is already Immobilized, the Lightning damage dealt to them is increased by 5%/10%/15%% (multiplicative) instead.
- (passive – ONLY put 1 point here) Neurotoxin – Poisoned enemies are slowed by 8%/16%/24%.
- (upgrade ) Envenom – Poisoned enemies take 10%/20%/30% (multiplicative) additional Critical Strike Damage.
- (upgrade) Toxic Claws – Critical Strikes with Werewolf skills deal 8%/15%/23% of their base damage as Poison damage over 4 seconds.
- (passive) did not pick any other Wrath passives to save points but there are some worth considering
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23) Not taking an Active Ultimate
- (1st upgrade)
- (2nd upgrade)
- (passive) Defiance – Nature Magic skills deal 4% (multiplicative) increased damage to Elites.
- (upgrade) Natural Disaster – Your Earth Skills deal 4%/8%/12% (multiplicative) increased damage to Vulnerable enemies. Your Storm Skills deal 4%/8%/12% (multiplicative) increased damage to enemies that are Stunned, Immobilized, or Knocked Back.
- (upgrade – did NOT pick to save points) Circle of Life – Nature Magic skills that consume Spirit restore 1%/2%/3% of your maximum Life.
- (upgrade – did NOT pick to save points) Resonance – Nature Magic Skills deal 2%/4%/6% (multiplicative) increased damage. Triple this bonus if an Earth Skill is the next Skill cast after a Storm Skill, or a Storm Skill is the next Skill cast after an Earth Skill.
- (passive) did not pick other Ultimate passives to save points
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Bestial Rampage – After being a Werewolf for 2.5 seconds, gain +20% Attack Speed for 15 seconds. After being a Werebear for 2.5 seconds, deal 20% (multiplicative) increased damage for 15 seconds.
Class Mechanic (Spirit Boons):
I don’t have much info regarding the Spirit Boons but I think you can pick at least 2 from the same category (when you specialize into it) + maybe 1 more from every other category . I’d advise getting the following 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 for now.
- Eagle Category:
Scythe Talons: +5% Critical Strike Chance
Avian Wrath: +30% Critical Strike Damage
- Deer Category:
Wariness: Take 10% reduced damage from Elites
- Snake Category:
Masochist: Critical Strikes with Shapeshifting Skills heal you for 3% Maximum Life
- Wolf Category:
Energize: Lucky Hit: Dealing damage has up to a 15% Chance to restore 10 Spirit
In Diablo IV apparently (I have multiple sources that confirmed this) we can equip more than one unique item at the same time (not so ‘unique’ if we can get decked out in full uniques I guess). It seems that the one unique per build idea that Unique inherited from the Mythical gear they supposedly replaced was scrapped even before the closed beta tests. My top pick will be the following one but check the notes under the Aspects list for some additional picks:
Mad Wolf’s Glee (Chest Armor)
Werewolf form is now your true form, and you gain +2 Ranks to all Werewolf Skills.
+[0.07 – 0.14] Physical Damage
+[0.07 – 0.14] Poison Damage [7 – 14]% Damage Reduction from Poisoned Enemies
+[16.5 – 23.5]% Movement Speed
“He was not a victim of the curse – he sought it out. As his skin split and his bones cracked, his laughter never ceased.” – Tale of the Mad Nobleman
Sockets & Gems
There are various possible good/viable choices for the gem slots. I’ve shortlisted what works by slot. I’d recommend picking one of those:
Weps: Ruby, Saphire, Skull, Amethyst, or Emerald.
Armor: Skull, Ruby, or Saphire.
Jewelry: Diamond unless you need specific resistance more than all.
XYZ Diamond (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Ultimate Skill Damage
• Armor: +N% Barrier Generation
• Jewelry: N% Resistance to All Elements
+5%/+5%/5 for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Skull (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N Life On Kill
• Armor: +N% Healing Received • Jewelry: +N Armor
+13/+5%/+170 for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Saphire (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Crowd-Controlled Enemies
• Armor: N% Damage Reduction While Fortified
• Jewelry: N% Cold Resistance
+7.5%/5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Ruby (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Overpower Damage
• Armor: +N% Maximum Life
• Jewelry: N% Fire Resistance
+15%/+5.5%/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Emerald (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Critical Strike Damage to Vulnerable Enemies
• Armor: +N Thorns
• Jewelry: N% Poison Resistance
+7.5%/39/14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
XYZ Amethyst (Requires Level XY)
• Weapon: +N% Damage Over Time
• Armor: N% Damage Taken Over Time Reduction
• Jewelry: N% Shadow Resistance
+5%/+8.2%/+14.3% for chipped (the 2nd grade at lvl 20)
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my RDY-4-Launch Builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (MAD DOG) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Stormshifter’s Aspect
- Amulet: Nighthowler’s Aspect
- Chest: Aspect of Might Until The Unique goes here (see note below)
- Pants: Vigorous Aspect
- Gloves: Aspect of the Wildrage
- Boots: Exploiter’s Aspect
- Ring 1: Aspect of The Tempest
- Ring 2: Storm Beast’s Aspect
- 1H Weapon (see note below): Aspect of the Alpha
- Off-hand (see note below): Stormclaw’s Aspect
- 2-H Weapon (see note below): Aspect of the Alpha
NOTE 1: Aspect of Might goes in the Chest slot ONLY until you get the Mad Wolf's Glee Unique Chest. There are two other alternative picks for Uniques you could use if you get those first: Andariel's Visage (Helm) & Storm's Companion (Pants) NOTE 2: How to re-arrange if using any of the alternative Uniques: - For Andariel's Visage (Helm): Aspect of Might gets removed from the Chest and Stormshifter's Aspect goes in the Chest to make room for the Unique - For Storm's Companion (Pants): Aspect of Might gets removed from the Chest and Vigorous Aspect goes in the Chest to make room for the Unique
Use the links below to check the paragon boards selected and the nodes I’ve taken. One link is for what the boards will look like at lvl 95 without any paragon points from renown (so more paragon points will be obtained on the way to 100 as well as from renown. The other link will be what the boards will look like when fully maxed out on paragon points.
Suggested Gear Rolls to look out for (NOT in order of priority):
I’ve shortlisted 44 different affixes that work well with the build of almost 300 total. I’ll highlight in Orange the ones I think should get higher priority
|Bonus to All Damage|
|Critical Strike Chance/Critical Damage Bonus|
|Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Physical/Lightning/Poison Skills|
|Critical Chance/Critical Damage with Core/Wrath/Companion/Werewolf/Shapeshifting/Nature/Storm Skills|
|Damage with Core/Wrath/Companion/Werewolf/Shapeshifting/Nature/Storm Skills|
|Lucky Hit Chance|
|+ X Ranks to Core/Wrath/Companion/Werewolf/Shapeshifting/Nature/Storm Skills|
|Physical/Lightning/Poison Damage Bonus|
|Lucky Hit Chance with Physical/Lightning/Poison Damage|
|Resistance to All Elements|
|+ % Critical Chance / Critical Damage with Physical/Lightning/Poison Damage|
|+ % Physical/Lightning/Poison Damage to Elites|
|+ % Critical Strike Chance with Physical/Lightning/Poison Damage Against Elites|
|Damage Reduction for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|+ % Damage for X Seconds After Killing an Elite|
|Damage Reduction from Elites|
|Critical Strike Chance Against Close Enemies|
|Damage to Close Enemies|
|Critical Strike Damage to Close Enemies|
|Critical Strike Chance Against Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|Critical Strike Damage to Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|Damage to Crowd Controlled Enemies|
|Critical Strike Chance Against Vulnerable Enemies|
|Critical Strike Damage to Vulnerable Enemies|
|Damage while Shapeshifted|
|Damage while in Werewolf Form|
|Damage while Healthy|
|Damage while Fortified|
|Chance When Struck to Fortify for X Life|
|+ All Stats|
|Companion Movement Speed|
|Damage vs Injured Enemies|
|Lucky Hit: Up to a +X% Chance to Execute Injured Non-Elites|
|Critical Strike Chance Against Injured Enemies|
|Damage vs Healthy Enemies|
|Weapon Damage (not sure if there are any bonuses to that as rolls)|
|Spirit Generation / Regeneration / On Kill|
|Resource Cost Reduction|
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV RDY-4-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the MAD DOG Druid Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game, below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):