Chaining Thunder Sorcerer BUILD for Diablo IV
Diablo IV’s Open Beta Tests are almost here and I felt motivated to make some Pre-Launch theorycrafted semi-builds that should be good for ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters when the game launches. I also plan to evolve them into FULL builds when the game is released & keep them updated when we get rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Sorcerer Class called Chaining Thunder.
The Beta tests will only let us reach lvl 25 and only let us play in the first Act/Zone (Fractured Peaks) so those builds will be more useful for the actual game launch and ideally for characters around lvl 50+ or 60+. I’ve used 50+ and 60+ skill points when making the builds instead of the full 100 so that they can be used to jumpstart a player’s post-story endgame grind.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for those builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect that work well with the build so one can spend the extra skill points on the way to lvl 100 into those other skills.
This build will be updated post-launch to a new & expanded version when I have actual in-game information as reference.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken on the way to lvl 100 + alternative skill options, you can check my pre-launch builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Chaining Thunder) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Some of the skill icon images you see could be outdated & different from what is seen in the Full release version. I plan to replace them once the Beta ends or after the full launch.
Minor Destruction / Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0 )
- (active) Arc Lash – Unleash arcing lightning that shocks enemies in front of you for 30.00% (X- ?). Every 10 times Arc Lash swipes, it stuns all enemies hit for 2 seconds. Damage: Lightning Tags: Basic, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Arc Lash – If Arc Lash’s initial swipe Critically Strikes, it swipes and additional time.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Glinting Arc Lash – Hitting a Stunned enemy with Arc Lash reduces your cooldowns by 0.25 seconds.
Major Destruction / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2 )
- (active) Chain Lightning – Unleash lightning that deals 42.00% (X-?) damage and chains up to 4 times. Mana Cost: 35 Damage: Lightning Tags: Core, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Chain Lightning – Chain Lightning bounces to 1 additional enemy.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Greater Chain Lightning – When Chain Lightning Critically Strikes, it has a 25% chance to spawn a Crackling Energy.
- (passive) Potent Warding – Your non-Physical Damage and Resistances are increased by 2%.
- (passive) did not pick other Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6 )
- (active) Teleport – Transform into lightning becoming Unstoppable and surging to the target location dealing 25.00% (X -?) damage around you upon arrival. Cooldown: 10.8 Damage: Lightning Tags: Defensive, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Teleport – After Teleporting, take 30% less damage for 5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mystical Teleport – For 4 seconds after Teleporting, Crackling Energy deals 40% (multiplicative) more damage.
- (passive) did not pick any Defensive passives to save points
Conjuration Skills (Required Points: 11 )
- (active) Lightning Spear – Conjure a crackling spear of lightning that seeks out enemies for 6.0 seconds, dealing 15.00% (X – ?) damage per hit. Mana Cost: 19.6 Damage: Lightning Tags: Conjuration, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Lightning Spear – Lightning Spear has a 10% increased chance to critically strike against Stunned enemies.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Invoked Lightning Spear – After critically striking, Lightning Spear has a 5% increased stacking critical strike chance for its duration.
- (passive) Align the Elements – You gain 5% Damage reduction against Elites for each second you don’t take damage from any of these sources, up to 50%.
- (1st upgrade) Mana Shield – Every time you spend 100 Mana, you gain 5% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade) did not pick it to save points
- (passive) did not pick any more Conjuration passives to save points
Mastery Skills (Required Points: 16 )
- (active – did not invest points into it YET but good to have later) Ball Lightning Conjure a ball of lightning that slowly moves forward, continually zapping enemies for 15.00% (X -?) damage. Mana Cost: 50 Damage: Lightning Tags: Mastery, Shock
- (1st upgrade for later) Enhanced Ball Lightning – Ball Lightning deals damage 30% more frequently.
- (2nd upgrade for later – my pick of the 2)Wizard’s Ball Lightning – If an enemy is hit at least 4 times by a cast of Ball Lightning, a Crackling Energy is formed.
- (passive) Regenerative Conduit – Crackling Energy restores 4 Mana upon pickup.
- (upgrade) Shocking Impact – DID NOT INVEST in this to save points
- (upgrade) Static Discharge – Critical Strikes with Shock Skills have a 5% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23 )
- (active) Unstable Currents – Lightning surges within you for 10 seconds. Whenever you cast a Lightning Skill, another random Lightning Skill is also cast. Cooldown: 68.5 Damage: Lightning Tags: Ultimate, Shock
- (1st upgrade) Prime Unstable Currents – Unstable Currents increases Attack Speed by 25% while active.
- (2nd upgrade) Supreme Unstable Currents – While Unstable Currents is active, collecting Crackling Energy increases its duration by 0.25 seconds.
- (passive) Coursing Currents – Hitting enemies with Shock Skills increases your Critical Strike Chance by 1%. Resets upon getting a Critical Strike.
- (upgrade) Conduction Critical Strikes with Shock Skills increase your Attack Speed by 5% for 2 seconds.
- (upgrade) Electrocution – Enemies deal 5% less damage for 5 seconds after being Critically Struck by your Shock Skills.
- (upgrade) Convulsions – Lucky Hit: Shock Skills have up to a 3% chance to Stun enemies for 3 seconds.–
- (passive) Bonded in Essence – Your Minions gain 15% of your Resistances.
- (upgrade) Death’s Defense – DID NOT INVEST in this to save points
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Vyr’s Mastery – Close enemies take 10% (multiplicative) more damage from your Shock skills and deal 20% (multiplicative) less damage to you.
I don’t have much info regarding sacrificing skills as “Enchantments” and if it even is still a part of the game so I’ll leave this empty for now.
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my pre-launch builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Chaining Thunder) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Aspect of The Umbral
- Amulet: Aspect of Shared Misery
- Chest: Aspect of Might
- Pants: Aspect of The Unwavering
- Gloves: Edgemaster’s Aspect
- Boots: Charged Aspect
- Ring 1: Aspect of Splintering Energy
- Ring 2: Prodigy’s Aspect
- 1H Weapon: Elementalist’s Aspect
- Off-hand: Aspect of Retribution
- 2-H Weapon (if you decide to use one): Elementalist’s Aspect
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the Chaining Thunder Sorcerer Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):