Snowballer Sorcerer BUILD for Diablo IV
Diablo IV launches on June 6th, 2023 for PC (Battle.Net), XBOX, & PlayStation with a 4 days Early Access (no wipe) for pre-orders (so kind of really launching June 2nd).
Diablo IV’s Open Beta Tests are almost here and I felt motivated to make some Pre-Launch theorycrafted semi-builds that should be good for ‘fresh-into-endgame’ characters when the game launches. I also plan to evolve them into FULL builds when the game is released & keep them updated when we get rebalance updates. This is one such build for the Sorcerer Class called Snowballer.
The Beta tests will only let us reach lvl 25 and only let us play in the first Act/Zone (Fractured Peaks) so those builds will be more useful for the actual game launch and ideally for characters around lvl 50+ or 60+. I’ve used 50+ and 60+ skill points when making the builds instead of the full 100 so that they can be used to jumpstart a player’s post-story endgame grind.
I’ve also made spreadsheets for those builds (see the links below) that have shortlisted the active and passive skills + legendary aspect that work well with the build so one can spend the extra skill points on the way to lvl 100 into those other skills.
This build will be updated post-launch to a new & expanded version when I have actual in-game information as reference.
Below you’ll see ONLY the Active & Passive skills that were selected for this build. For additional skills that can be taken on the way to lvl 100 + alternative skill options, you can check my pre-launch builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Snowballer) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
Some of the skill icon images you see could be outdated & different from what is seen in the Full release version. I plan to replace them once the Beta ends or after the full launch.
Minor Destruction / Basic Skill (Resource Generator/Builder) (Required Points: 0 )
- (active) Frost Bolt – Throw a bolt of frost at an enemy, dealing 39.00% (X- ?) damage and Chilling them for 13%. Damage: Cold Tags: Basic, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frost Bolt – Frost Bolt has a 10% chance to explode on Chilled targets, hitting nearby enemies. Chance increased by 100% against Frozen targets.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Glinting Frost Bolt – Frost Bolt generates 4 Mana when hitting Chilled or Frozen.
Major Destruction / Core Skill(s) (Resource Spender) (Required Points: 2 )
- (active) Frozen Orb – Unleash an orb that Chills for 34% and expels piercing shards dealing a total of 31.69% (X- ?) damage. Upon expiration, Frozen Orb explodes, dealing 29.25% (X- ?) damage. and Chilling enemies for 9%. Mana Cost: 40 Damage: Cold Tags: Core, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Frozen Orb – When cast above 50 Mana, Frozen Orb’s explosion damage is increased by 30% (multiplicative).
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Destructive Frozen Orb – Frozen Orb’s explosion restores 5 Mana when hitting a Frozen enemy.
- (passive) Potent Warding – Your non-Physical Damage and Resistances are increased by 2%.
- (passive) did not pick other Core passives to save points
Defensive Skills (Required Points: 6 )
- (active) Ice Armor – A Barrier of ice forms around you for 6 seconds, absorbing X damage. While Ice Armor is active, 10% of your Cold Damage dealt is added to its Barrier. Barriers absorb damage from all sources up to a specified amount. Cooldown: 19.6 Tags: Defensive, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Ice Armor – While Ice Armor is active, your Mana Regeneration is increased by 25%.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mystical Ice Armor – While Ice Armor’s Barrier is at or above its original amount, you deal 30% (multiplicative) increased damage.
- (passive) did not pick any Defensive passives to save points
Conjuration Skills (Required Points: 11 )
- (active) Ice Blades – Conjure ice blades for 6.0 seconds that rapidly slashes enemies for 30.67% (X – ?) damage and has a 20% chance to make them Vulnerable for 2 seconds. Cooldown: 11.8 Damage: Cold Tags: Conjuration, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Ice Blades – Ice Blades has a 10% increased chance to make enemies Vulnerable.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Summoned Ice Blades – Every time Ice Blades hits a Vulnerable enemy, it gains 25% Attack Speed, up to 100%.
- (passive) Align the Elements – You gain 5% Damage reduction against Elites for each second you don’t take damage from any of these sources, up to 50%.
- (1st upgrade) Mana Shield – Every time you spend 100 Mana, you gain 5% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade) Protection Using a skill with cooldown grants 10% of your maximum Life as a Barrier for 5 seconds.
- (passive) did not pick any more Conjuration passives to save points
Mastery Skills (Required Points: 16 )
- (active) Blizzard – Summon a frigid blizzard that deals 120.00% (X) damage and continually Chills enemies for 18% over 5 seconds. Mana Cost: 40 Damage: Cold Tags: Mastery, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Enhanced Blizzard – Blizzard’s duration is increased by 2 seconds.
- (2nd upgrade – my pick of the 2) Mage’s Blizzard – Every second an enemy is in Blizzard, they take 2.5% (multiplicative) increased damage from you, up to 20% (multiplicative).
- (passive to consider FOR LATER. DID NOT invest for it yet to save points ) Ice Veil – Your Barriers have a 5% increased duration. Barriers absorb damage from all sourced up to a specified amount.
- (upgrade) Hoarfrost – You deal more damage to enemies the more Chilled they are, up 6% (multiplicative) while they are Frozen.
- (upgrade) Cold Front – While you have a Barrier active, you apply 8% more Chill.
Ultimate Skills (Required Points: 23 )
- (active) Deep Freeze – Encase yourself in ice, becoming Immune for 4 seconds, continually Chilling enemies for 20%. When Deep Freeze ends, Frozen enemies shatter for 200.00% (X- ?). Casting Deep Freeze again ends the effect early. Cooldown: 58.8 Damage: Cold Tags: Ultimate, Frost
- (1st upgrade) Prime Deep Freeze – Gain 5% of your Life as a Barrier for 6 seconds for each enemy shattered by Deep Freeze.
- (2nd upgrade) Supreme Deep Freeze – When Deep Freeze ends, your active cooldowns are reduced by 50%.
- (passive) Frostbite – You deal 3% (multiplicative) more damage to Frozen or Vulnerable enemies, and 6% (multiplicative) more damage to enemies who are both Frozen and Vulnerable.
- (upgrade) Icy Touch – You deal 4% (multiplicative) increased damage to Vulnerable enemies.
- (upgrade) Permafrost – Frost Skills deal 5% (multiplicative) increased damage to Elites.
- (upgrade) Snap Freeze – Lucky Hit: Frost Skills have up to a 3% chance to instantly Freeze.
Specializations (Required Points: 33 )
- (passive) Icefall – Lucky Hit: Your Frost Skills have up to a 10% chance to make your next Ice Shards, Frozen Orb, or Blizzard consume no Mana and deal 40% (multiplicative) more damage. Chance is doubled against Vulnerable enemies.
I don’t have much info regarding sacrificing skills as “Enchantments” and if it even is still a part of the game so I’ll leave this empty for now.
Legendary Aspects / Powers
I will only list the Legendary Aspects that have been selected for the build and the slots in which I advise putting those. For in-depth information you can check my pre-launch builds spreadsheet on this link. This build (Snowballer) is one of the builds on that spreadsheet.
- Helm: Aspect of The Umbral
- Amulet: Aspect of Control
- Chest: Aspect of Shared Misery
- Pants: Snowguard’s Aspect
- Gloves: Aspect of Biting Cold
- Boots: Ghostwalker Aspect
- Ring 1: Aspect of Retribution
- Ring 2: Prodigy’s Aspect
- 1H Weapon: Aspect of Pummeling
- Off-hand: Rapid Aspect
- 2-H Weapon (if you decide to use one): Aspect of Pummeling
Useful Links (Spreadsheets & more):
For all of my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Theorycrafts/Builds: This Spreadsheet
For my Diablo IV Pre-Launch Class Skill Trees (can be used as mini-calculator): This Spreadsheet
♦ ◊ ♦ ◊ ♦
This concludes the Snowballer Sorcerer Build for Diablo IV. If you’re interested in the game below are links to the various platforms where one can buy it (you can just click the links to open a new tab):